We have been talking about so many different things this past week. It is interesting to think of advertisements in a new perspective. Some times I find myself agreeing and other times I find myself saying how can you say that? As Americans in this generation I think that we do take a lot of things for granted with the real message to some of those ads included. But as we are surrounded with more and more sexually suggestive ads it becomes less and less meaningful to us. We may look at it and laugh, or say that's just wrong, but it really doesn't make me want to go out and buy that product. Especially the ones that are to suggestive and just down right trashy. I think that it is hard for advertisements to stimulate people these days, because we have been surrounded by all of the advertisements since we were born. We know what we want to buy and aren't so much influenced, or easily influenced anymore. They are just part of our culture, part of our everyday lives.
Some thing that I am not sure about is when we watched the "Killing Us Softly" video. She had a lot of great points in that advertising is really going crazy and maybe "killing us softly," but I think sometimes she dug to deep. She was saying how some of the ads represented something, for example the little kids and how the boy was already looking tough and the girl shy, I don't see that, or didn't, until this video. As Americans I think that, especially in advertising, we take things at face value, and don't give an ad like that a second look. When I see to little kids I just think that it is really cute. I love kids. So I just wonder if sometimes she just tries to find what ever she can to prove her point... Something to think about.
Accomplishments
14 years ago
Yes I do agree with you when some of the points she makes to prove her point. The childern ad wasnt a good point to try and prove. Also some people look at ads differently from others.Some people have differnt meanings from when they look at ads.But overall people have different ways in when they interpet different aspects in life. Thats why people don't understand the elements of whats going on.
ReplyDeleteI think the key here is when you said, "I don't see that, or didn't, until this video." My question would be, how much have we been failing to really *SEE*? I agree that it can seem as if Kilbourne is digging a bit too deeply at times. But it's her job to make us take a closer look. Maybe we won't think quite so "blindly" the next time we browse through a magazine.
ReplyDeleteI liked your second paragraph the best, i agree that maybe she is looking too deep in to the ads. The sex ads i completely understand her points of saying they are too much because i think they sometimes are. But the kids is getting a little carried away. its almost as though she is trying to find something to pick about or a hidden message that maybe isn't even there. Some of these decisions about ads are conscious but also think there are most that are not.
ReplyDeleteThe second paragraph I totally agree with. It's hard to pick out exactly what they are trying to advertsie. What I think they are trying to get across can be totally different from what another person thinks. So does that mean we are both wrong? But if we just look at the general aad, does that in itself get the ad across, or if we go in depth with it, do we get the real thought? Heck, who knows! I just kinda go for the general idea and if I dont undertsnad then focus in on it agin during the next break, because it's sure to be on again! you had some good points Becca!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you made your point about the two children. I didnt really see what was so wrong with that ad either. Boys and men are supposed to be tough and protective right? And girls and women sometimes like to have a "protector" and whats so wrong with smiling?! "killing us softly" did make us all pay closer attention to ads and their message. Ithink youre right when you say that we have just been so surrounded with so many ads that we are running out of ways to present and sell products that the ads just become more and more suggestive to catch our attention. Like a jolt or shock?!
ReplyDelete