Friday, January 29, 2010

Post 1

I have found Culture Jam to be a very interesting book. It questions the very nature of the human race today. It brings to question everything that we do and how we have chosen to live our lives. It makes you think and wonder about what is right and what is wrong. It makes you second guess the way society is. I have no problems with my life, and I have no complaints. But, I do think that technology has gotten out of hand that today people to rely entirely to much on technology. At the same time, I think that we couldn't live without it. to quote my history professor "Once we have technology we need it." This is something that has impacted lives forever. Just think about it, when the first people in the world started to farm and develop new technologies they started to need them. They went from being hunters and gathers to developing a culture around agriculture. Once they had agriculture they could settle down in one place and build cities. They could also support more people and have bigger families. All because they started coming up with new ideas, and ever since then people everywhere have come up with new innovative technologies and they have greatly positively impacted society and the way that the human race lives. Would you want to resort back to being a hunter or a gather? Probably not.

I feel that the same applies with society today. Yes, sometimes we get out of hand and they invent things that are silly and not necessary. But, to some extent we need all of it, or feel like we do. When you wake up in the morning think about your alarm clock, think if you didn't have it. What would you do? Could you wake yourself up? Or your cell phone. For many of us, myself included, it never leaves our side. We feel lost without them. Imagine living today knowing that they exist but not being able to have one. Today everything that we do revolves around technology, just as way back when when their whole lives depended on agriculture and survival. So where do we draw the line?

10 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    I like your reminder that even the most simple of inventions have changed the way we live our lives. The light bulb, irrigation, penicillin. It is difficult to imagine what our lives might look like without these advancements. It also makes me wonder what future technologies will continue to change the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do we draw the line is the million dollar question!!! There are actually certain times when I try to get away from all this technolgy. For hunting season, granted I have a nice gun with a real high tech scope, but still, I don't take my phone or Ipod, I just go out in my tree stand, sit there, and enjoy nature! I could get used to it!! It's just so peaceful!! I even don't take my cell phone with me when I go to my grandparents house. When we go there, it's for family time and if I have my phone, it just feels like I always have to check it and see if anything is new in the outside world! Very nice post Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no way of telling that there will be an end to the technology that is created. I agree with you when u say that you dont have any complaints in your life, either do I, but some the technology that we have today one doesnt need it. When my family together we may play games or do something that invloves no technology but sometimes its neccessary that we bring out the Wii or some other type of electronic. I feel as though the world was created the way it was for a reason and now we the people just live every day as we should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thining the same thing when reading the book. Lasn states on the 2nd paragraph of page 12 that "it took humans thousands of generations to adapt to living on land.. so it's reasonable to assume it will take dozens of generations to adapt to the new electronic mass media environment that's repidly replacing the 'natural' one." I just don't think that people should stop caring about the natural environment because we are too caught up in the electronic one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your idea that when there is new technology that comes about, we then cannot live without it. I do feel technology has gotten a little out of hand, but I agree we do need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like you second paragraph. Thinking back to the smallest of things that are all still technology. This is good and really made me think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your view on technology. We do need it and yes it is a great help to everyone. There is a line though when it comes to need and dependence. A lot of people depend on their technology when they could do something else besides using technology. Like texting a friend who is across the hall when you could just get up and go talk to the person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your thoughts. Once a new technology comes out, everyone has to run out and get it but if we didn't have technology our daily lives wouldn't function as nicely and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. There are so many inventions these days and some are stupid but you had a great point with the alarm clock. thats such a good way to look at it. I know that I am addicted to technology because Im constantly on facebook. I check it in the morning even when i first wake up. its sad how much the world does rely on technology but at the same time, its a part of our society and the way we live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it interesting to read your blog because it disagreed with what a lot of other people think. We you asked the question about would "I want to be a hunter or gather" it made me think. I agree in the fact that we are dependent on technology and think this is what makes it out of hand. I think that we, as humans, would be deeply confused if we were to lose our technological advances.

    ReplyDelete